- Animal Rescue Fund of South Carolina – ARF is a no-kill, non-profit rescue shelter for dogs and cats. ARF’s mission is to save the lives of pets that have been abandoned to fend for themselves, to make those pets in their care healthy, comfortable, and loved until a responsible new home can be found for them, and to encourage responsible pet care.
- Golden Corner Animal Guardians – GCAG provides shelter, training, vetting and new homes for the less fortunate companion animals that find themselves in our area shelter or are victims of abuse and/or neglect.
- Oconee County Humane Society – Their mission is to prevent cruelty to animals by providing shelter for unwanted animals; develop educational programs for responsible pet ownership; conduct spay and neuter programs; place adopted animals in humane environments and advocating the humane treatment of animals.
- Seneca Animal Hospital – Seneca Animal Hospital, besides offering veterinary care to upstate South Carolina, tries to help abandoned, stray, and homeless animals. However, space is limited.
- Concerned Citizens for Animals – CCA is a non-profit animal shelter/rescue group. whose concerns include the increasing overpopulation of dogs and cats, the mistreatment and neglect of some pets, and the sad existence of so many stray and abandoned animals in the upstate of South Carolina. There are CCA groups in Simpsonville and Pickens.
- Alive and Well Animal Rescue – This non-profit, no-kill shelter provides a safe and habitable place for the dogs and cats that are rescued and brought to the Sanctuary. Food and shelter are provided on a free-range 22-acre facility located in Spartanburg, SC.
- Animal Allies Spay/Neuter Clinic – Animal Allies is focused on ending pet overpopulation in and around the upstate area of SC through high-quality, low-cost spay and neuter services for cats and dogs.
- Ararats Doxie Haven – Their mission is to rescue and rehabilitate behaviorally (if necessary) purebred dachshunds from area kill shelters, puppy mills and owner relinquishments.
- Carolina Poodle Rescue – Carolina Poodle Rescue is a no-kill/limited entry private rescue group that provides sanctuary and rehabilitation and, when the right home comes along, rehomes poodles and other needy small dogs.
- Lhasa Apso Shih Tzu Rescue – This non-profit is not breed specific, although they try to keep to Lhasa Apsos and Shih Tzus and mixes of the two breeds.
- Spartanburg Humane Society – This organization is dedicated to the promotion of animal welfare throughout Spartanburg and surrounding areas. Their goals are making the community a safer place for people to live, preventing cruelty to animals, and educating the public in proper animal care, especially the neutering of pets.
- Upstate Chihuahua Rescue – A non-profit rescue center and sanctuary that is dedicated to the rescue efforts and rehoming of chihuahuas and other small breeds that are in need of assistance.
Animal Welfare Organizations
The links below direct you to shelters and other canine resources
that are within an approximate 50-mile radius of Seneca, SC.
Click on the letter corresponding to the name of the town you wish to view:
- Concerned Citizens for Animals – CCA is a non-profit animal shelter/rescue group whose concerns include the increasing overpopulation of dogs and cats, the mistreatment and neglect of some pets, and the sad existence of so many stray and abandoned animals in the upstate. There are CCA groups in Simpsonville and Pickens.
- Kat 5 Animal Rescue - Georgia Division – This group is comprised of volunteers from across the country who came together in the wake of Hurricane Katrina to rescue animals. KAT 5 Animal Rescue intervenes to protect animals when a natural or man-made disaster strikes.
- Anderson County Animal Shelter – This shelter that offers both dogs and cats for adoption works closely with animal rescue programs and the Anderson County Humane Society.
- Anderson County Humane Society – This private, not-for-profit animal welfare organization does not euthanize any animals and keeps them in individual foster homes until they are adopted. They also try to help place animals from the Anderson County Animal Shelter.
- 4Petsake Animal Rescue – This organization is committed to adopting as many healthy animals as possible, and through education and action, prevent cruelty to animals.
- Greyhounds & Love, Inc. – This is a greyhound rescue organization devoted to rescuing, rehabilitating, and adopting out ex-racing greyhounds into loving homes and to help eliminate cruelty to these wonderful hounds.
- Pups, Persians, and Pits – This dedicated group of people is trying to save as many lives as possible. Most of the animals they get are in danger of losing their lives from either illness that a shelter can not afford to treat or from lack of space at the shelter.
- Madison Oglethorpe Animal Shelter – MOAS provides housing and nourishment for and adopts out stray, abused and otherwise unwanted animals. They accept surrendered animals from Madison and Oglethorpe counties only.
- SC Shar-pei Rescue Network – The goal of Shar-Pei Rescue is to provide links to a national network of volunteers and shelters, all working together to save the adoptable Chinese Shar-pei purebreds and mixes.
- Friends for Life – Friends for Life is a group that fosters animals, often with ‘special needs,” in their homes. The animals are all neutered, vaccinated and their special health needs met.
- Carolina Boxer Rescue – Boxers come to CBR from shelters, humane societies and directly from owners. After evaluation and any necessary treatment, the boxers enter into volunteer foster homes throughout both states until a forever home can be found.
- Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc. – FHGRR is a full service rescue dedicated to providing rescue and necessary veterinary care for unwanted, neglected, abused, homeless, and displaced golden retrievers. They are committed to finding new permanent, loving homes for pure-bred Golden Retrievers in need.
- Greenville Humane Society – This organization has helped promote and improve the quality of life and humane treatment of animals since the 1800’s. It operates a full-service animal shelter and strives to place healthy animals with responsible and caring individuals.
- Hugs for Hounds – Hugs For Hounds is an organization devoted to sheltering, caring for, and rehoming unwanted and homeless dogs and puppies. The majority of the puppies come from "kill rooms," and they are now accepting small breed pregnant females.
- Pet Haven of South Carolina – PHSC offers shelter, care and sanctuary at their NO-KILL facility for abandoned, abused and/or neglected cats, dogs, and horses as well as - if the need arises - other domestic animals as well as feral cats/stray dogs. They are an all-volunteer organization and a federally recognized public non-profit organization.
- Pet Tender Angels – Pet Tender Angels is a rescue started by an individual who loves animals and saves dogs off the streets. Their mission is to get the strays in loving homes and to educate the public on the importance of spaying and neutering and loving care of pets.
- Sable Rescue, Inc. – This organization pulls animals under death sentence from animal control and shelters that do not have room for them any longer and keeps the animals until a home can be found for them. They also help with TNR programs for feral cats.
- Speak for Animals – A non-profit organization that is dedicated to enhancing the welfare of animals, this group’s goal is to work with animal owners to educate them to take better care of their animals, to break the cycle of animal cruelty/neglect through humane education to kids, and advance legislation to make animal cruelty crimes strongly punishable.
- Upstate Animal Rescue of South Carolina – This group is working toward lowering the rate at which dogs and cats are being put to death in the local animal shelters by assisting animals into breed specific rescues as well as into adoptive placements. This is primarily done by the use of foster homes as intermediaries.
- Humane Society of North Georgia – This adoption service for pets that need homes also provide discount spay/neuter certificates to rescuers and pet owners. They specialize in small dogs and housebroken family pets and have a soft spot for senior animals.
- Clemson Animal Welfare Society – The main objectives of CAWS, an organization of Clemson students, are to educate the Clemson campus and community about pet overpopulation, the importance of spaying and neutering their pets, and adopting animals at animal shelters and proper pet care. They have “adopted” a local shelter in Liberty called Foothills Animal Shelter.
- For the Hounds – This is an all volunteer, non-profit organization focusing on Greyhound rescue. However, they also have experience living with and placing other sight hounds such as Italian Greyhounds, Afghans, Salukis, Whippets, and Borzoi’s.
- Smithgall Woods Humane Society/Animal Shelter – Their ongoing mission is to find permanent homes for their furry little friends. Their goal is to make the adoption experience a pleasant and educational one for the adopter while placing a pet in a home where it is likely to succeed.
- Colbert Veterinary Rescue Services, Inc. – This organization that provides refuge and care for abandoned, sick, and injured dogs and cats in Madison County, Georgia and the surrounding area. They try very hard to match each pet for the home that would be best for them.
All we want is for us and our friends to have a chance to live.
Please let a shelter dog become your loyal friend and companion!
- Blue Ridge Rescue and Rehoming – This is a non-profit private rescue dedicated to helping American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, and American Bulldogs find excellent forever homes.
- Boykin Spaniel Rescue – BSR is dedicated to rehoming unwanted or neglected purebred Boykin Spaniels. It operates solely on volunteer labor and from adoption fees and generous donations from those concerned for our Little Brown Dogs.
- LuvaPaw Animal Shelter – This is a no-kill animal shelter that operates completely off of adoption fees, donations and fund-raisers. They rescue all sizes and all breeds of cats and dogs as space and foster homes allow.
- Northeast Georgia Animal Shelter – This is an open admission, non-profit shelter, supported financially by private donations and funds from eight city and county jurisdictions. They strive to get all their animals adopted and often work with rescue groups and other local shelters to achieve this.
- Nalley’s Nards – This non-profit corporation was organized for the purpose of rescuing and adopting St. Bernards in the upstate. While the primary focus is directed to Saints, they also rescue other breeds as they have space and resources.
- Hugs for Hounds – This shelter has a large variety of puppies, and they take in a lot of dogs that are too old for most families to want. These wonderful folks have also started a “weekend” foster care program! They are devoted to sheltering, caring for, and rehoming unwanted and homeless dogs and puppies.
- Pickens County Animal Control – The mission of the Animal Control Department is to enforce Animal Control Laws and Ordinances and provide care for the animals being held at the Animal Control Pound.
- UYR Taylors, SC – Their mission is to take in any stray, abandoned, or surrendered Yorkshire Terrier or Yorkshire Terrier mix and provide them with foster care, behavior screening, rehabilitation, health care, and ultimately place them in loving forever homes.
- Oconee Pets – This adoption agency for cats and dogs is a service of the Oconee County Sheriff’s Animal Control Unit.
- Fast Paws Haven Rescue – This rescue is run by a family who is dedicated to helping dogs find their forever home! All of the dogs are kid, cat, and other dog tested. They are also in the process of being crate trained and leash trained.
- The Fathers House Intl - Animal Rescue Division – This group is one of the ministries of The Father’s House International that cares for and places dogs according to the principle that God’s Word, the Bible, clearly teaches that man is to be not only kind to, but also responsible for, the animals He has created.
West Union, SC
- Oconee Humane Society – Their mission is to prevent cruelty to animals by providing shelter for unwanted animals, developing educational programs for responsible pet ownership, conducting spay and neuter programs; placing adopted animals in humane environments, and advocating the humane treatment of animals.
- I Love Dogs – This site has information on dog health, dog training, dog pictures, dog breeds, free dog stuff, and a dog forum.
- Dogs 4 Life – This site has information on dog adoption, dog care, and dog nutrition
- Your New Puppy – This site has information on puppy care and training, cute photos, funny videos games, dog biscuit recipes, and links to other dog sites.
- Fur All Over Funny Pages – There are funny poems, short stories, images of dogs and cats, and a lot of good links at this site.
- 1-800 Save-A-Pet.com – This non-profit adoption advertising charity has pictures of pets for adoption plus an excellent search engine that helps locate shelters and pets that need loving homes by distance from a specific zip code.